Friday, April 23, 2010

IMAGINE 2.0

An ancient Chinese proverb says, "Sometimes closed doors guide us toward the one that's open."

Okay, first I have to admit, that if it is an ancient proverb, then it was a wildly lucky guess! Yes, my name is Chan, but I am only 1/8th Chinese, at best.

Second, and more significantly, is that my life today reflects that so-called-proverb quite well. After wondering where God was "taking us", it's clear God was preparing us for what was already in front of us: Imagine. And Imagine was being prepared for us all along. It reminds me of one of those hopelessly romantic tunes from the early 90's, "After all that we've been through, it all comes down to me and you; I guess we're meant to be, (C'mon sing it with me!) together you and me, after all." Anybody remember who sang that? I can't.

What I am trying to get at is ... I now have the chance to give 100% of my time to the Imagine Network and nothing could be sweeter! So even though we've been around since 2007, Imagine is just now launching out as an autonomous non-profit with a full-time Director (yours truly) and with new life and energy that will hopefully far exceed our maiden voyage - thus the branding "2.0"

But the door motif is certainly not lost on me. Back in July of 2005 when we took our first team of "Imaginators" to East Africa, a Kenyan lady working with Christian Mission Aid pulled me aside and said, "The Lord has a word for you: 'Behold, I set before you an open door, that NO man can shut!'" I can still picture that moment near the matatu as we were about to head back to Nairobi from a day out in Maasailand. Her words struck me as deeply prophetic - I knew that - but I had no clue what they meant! And I have remembered that many times since. But wouldn't you know it, it took several other doors closing before I finally realized this is the open door I am called to walk through - and since no man can shut it, including myself, then what am I waiting for??

So if you would, please excuse me now, I have a door to catch. But I doubt it will shut behind me, so I invite you to come along and walk through the doorway with me. I KNOW I'm not called to go at it alone. I know there is a sense of destiny in you also - that restless wondering of "What was I truly made for?" What fulfillment is escaping you because you've settled for the ordinary? How long has it been since you dared to dream of being a hero because you "just knew" that you couldn't really make a difference, could you?

If any of these questions haunt you, like they do me, then walk through the open door. Who knows what's on the other side? Only one way to find out....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations