Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My last day at Sahara Challenge

Last Friday was the final day of the Sahara Challenge and I come away with a tremendous life-shaping experience that reminds me of a phrase I heard from my friend Dr. Minatrea:  "Spiritual formation for Kingdom impact."  That's a good summary of a disciple's goal, isn't it?   To be shaped by Christ's spirit for the extension of His glory and reign.

So what did we do Friday?  We attended a worship service in downtown Atlanta.  We arrived a little late, naturally so when you are caravaning with 120 people!  So we arrived just in time to be greeted and shown to our seats to hear the majority of the sermon.  After the message there was much excitment for a profession of faith, followed by a time of prayer, and some closing announcements which included ministry opportunities for helping refugees, a medical clinic, and assistance to the poor.  On the way out, ushers collected the offering encouraging people to "take home a blessing by giving".

Did I mention we went to a Mosque?

Yea, maybe you saw that coming, but even if you did, do you think it sounds eerily similar to a Christian service?  My point is not to say "we're all the same", which is one of the lies the Evil one defaults to when we begin comparing other religions to the claims of Christ Jesus.  There is NO other Name, in heaven or earth, by which we may be saved.  While there are many bridges we can build to help Muslims understand the uniqueness of Jesus, Islam and true Christianity are still polar opposites.  

Which is the point I'd like to make:  True Christianity.  What is that?  Does it bother you when people make the distinction?  I, for one, am an advocate of the distinction more than ever because I'm afraid I have seen too much "nominal Christianity" in myself and others that in the end is not very close to what Jesus intends for us.  By describing the "worship" service at the Mosque, I realized there is not much difference in the "religiosity" of Muslims and that of Christians - if that's what Christianity is reduced to. 

So the question is, what does your Christianity look like?  If the Spirit of God is not in control of our lives, and if the priorities of God are not increasingly becoming our priorities, then is there really much difference between the Muslim and the Christian who just goes to "worship", participates in some charity work, and then lives their lives by whatever standard captivates us most? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs/FreeStyleMama Creations